Les Écrins is full of possibilities for steep skiing. The couloir N of barre Noire, is still a magnificent example.
Adjacent to the Barre des Écrins, it is the ideal ascent route when the seracs become too threatening for the normal Écrins route.
The exit of the couloir slopes at more than 50°, then the slope becomes homogeneous while remaining in the 45°.
France - Ecrins
March, April, May, June
1,000€ /personne for 1 person
Off piste Level 3 - Specialist
Competent to ski skiing in all types of snow conditions and in all terrain up to slopes of 45º
Have the competence to use the relevant equipment (ski and safety) and alpine techniques (abseiling, belaying, waling in crampons)
Ski with a 3 to 6 kg backpack
Be capable of physical effort for 4h to 7 hours
Be capable of descending 250 to 400m of elevation without stopping
Departure from the Pré de Madame Carle at 1800m of altitude, we will take the direction of the refuge des Écrins culminating at 3175 m.
Depending on the arrival time at the hut, we will be able to walk on the flat of the Blanc glacier, in order to check the snow conditions of the descent couloir.
Return to the hut to spend the night.
Starting from the Écrins hut, we will put the skis on directly, to reach the base of the Barre Noire couloir.
According to the snow conditions, we will be able to continue skiing, then quickly we will put the crampons, ice axes, to finish the couloir.
Once at the summit, you will contemplate the breathtaking view of the basin of the Black Glacier and the Barre des Ecrins. Once well recovered from the ascent, we will get our skis, to go down the couloir.
Arrived on the flat of the White glacier, we will let ourselves slide until the parking lot of the Pré de Madame Carle, to join our cars.
- The meal at lunchtime for both you and your guide
- The safety equipment (Probe, shovel, Tranceiver, Harness)
- Overnight accommodation described in the program
- Breakfasts, picnics and dinners included in the program
- A 1.5 liter bottle of water per person per day.
- A fully qualified and experienced IFMGA guide for the duration of your trip
- Mandatory off-piste safety equipment (shovel, tranceiver, probe)
- Mountain rescue radio
- Free membership to the association for the organization of stays
- Mandatory individual mountaineering safety equipment: harness, helmet, crampons, ice axe
- Collective equipment necessary for progression and safety
- Ski equipment rental (shoes, poles, skis, ...)
- Personal insurance covering the activity
- All that is not included in "the price includes".
- Personal expenses: additional drinks, energy bars, souvenirs, tips, etc.
All Ecrins Prestige guides have gained the highest guiding qualification from the IFMGA and are certified to guide anywhere in the world